Friday, January 16, 2009

I Think My Kittens Are Broken


My kittens are broken & I just have to get used to it.
Maybe it is because they were adopted.
I had to tell them; with all the tough questions, it was getting kinda awkward.
However, I think that this knowledge has dredged up a lot of buried trauma.
Their abandonment issues stem from an afternoon spent in cardboard box outside of a Jon's supermarket with "Free Kittens" scrawled on the box & the loss of "Mom" -- who maybe some imaginary or mythical figure, I don't know.
Yeah, a Jon's supermarket ... not Von's -- Jon's ... pretty abject; I'm not sure but I think Food 4 Less and Smart & Final are more upmarket than Jon's.


Otto, the boy cat, has bad dreams.
You can hear him whimpering in his sleep at least once a day. It's heartbreaking.
When he wakes up, he's all whimpery and needs a good five minutes of soothing before he visits the food bowl.
Also, he has this OBSESSIVE thing about Q-Tips.
He knocks over the dispenser in the bathroom and then takes one into the bathtub to chew on.
If I'm working at the computer -- which happens, there's a thesis to write -- he drops the Q-Tip between my back & the back of the chair then starts digging at it. Otto can often be found just tooling around with a Q-Tip in his mouth. I don't think it's safe, but if I take it away from him, he just gets another. I've removed the Q-Tip dispenser to a drawer where his lack of opposable thumbs render it inaccessible, but he's got a secret stash squirreled away somewhere.

Iris, the girl cat, sleeps okay,
but she can only snuggle with you for a couple of minutes before she has to go and "nurse" from her bed.
There's a little patch on it's inside that she suckles on as she kneads the side of her bed with her paws. Also that's where she naps all day. ALL day, I think she's depressed.

Like I said, my kittens are broken & I just have to get used to it.



No comments: